Inside an old backpack in my trunk, I have:
- baby wipes
- bottled water
- safety vest
- tube tent in case we need shelter outside the car
- LED flare (It's super-fancy - it can morse-code-blink SOS!)
- hand-crank radio with flashlight
- emergency thermal blankets (these are super-thin foil that reflects body heat back to you)
- glow sticks
- coast guard approved rations (that are probably quite unpalatable, but also small, portable, and non-perishable)
-socks and shoes for myself since I'm often out in flip flops
- an old baby carrier (my ring sling)
I also usually have a first aid kit, picnic blanket and a stroller in the trunk.
I purchased my supplies at REI, amazon, and Costco. Ideas for what to pack came from various check lists I read online and offline.
I have more supplies at home (barrels of water, among other things), and I'm wondering if we should own a generator.
Do you have an emergency kit? What's in it? Is there something obvious mine is missing?