Wednesday, December 07, 2011

{pretty, happy, funny, real}


~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

Pretty:
pyramid in motion

window star

oranges with cloves for smelling good
There's been quite some decorating and crafting around here! The pyramid is imported from Germany - my parents brought it when they spent Christmas with us here two years ago. The best part of the pyramid was the look of wide-eyed wonder and happiness on Noah's face when he saw it in action for the first time.
The window star is just something I whipped up the other night (she said smugly). My grandfather made these stars with great precision (or so I perceived it as a little girl). Each point is folded individually and they are overlapped and glued together to make a star that you can use and re-use during Advent and Christmas season for years. (As long as the sun lets you - they can get pretty bleached out.)
Noah and I made those oranges together. The cloves were a lot pointier than I remembered, so I was actually surprised how long Noah stuck with it. He's got a lot of determination.

Happy:
my hand looks fairly mutant-ish here
Gingerbread was made last Sunday afternoon. I've not had much luck with gingerbread in the past, but this turned out really well. So well, in fact, that it's almost time to make more! It goes without saying that Noah was an enthusiastic little helper. I'm hoping that he'll soon grasp the concept of not cutting one cookie out of the center of the rolled-out dough... but I'm not holding my breath. He's three, after all.

Funny:
leaves!
Real:

There are a few things that are too real for me this week, but photos don't exist of any of them.
Perhaps you can help me with this: I'm taking a water aerobics class two nights a week now. I really enjoy it, but the pool is very chlorinated. I'm usually in the water up to my chin (because the air is kind of chilly), so I end up breathing in the chlorine fumes for an hour while I exercise, and it's burning the mucous membranes in my nose and throat, which is surprisingly painful. Do you have any ideas what I can do to protect myself or at least stop the pain more quickly? I lay awake in bed at night after class because my throat burns. Not good.

Pretty, happy, funny, real is the brainchild of these ladies here, who are encouraging their reader to find contentment in the everyday perfection and imperfection of life.

9 comments:

The Wild Optimist said...

Beautiful pictures and post! Thank you for sharing!

Melanie said...

Hello, I came over from Like Mother, Like Daughter. Beautiful images!!!

Carrie said...

I love water aerobics. I miss water aerobics! I do not miss the chlorine burn, though. Maybe some vaseline up your nose before the class? Or just kind of snort up tap water in the shower after class? I don't know.

Here's a funny story that won't help you at all. When I lived in Sweden I kept getting swimmers ear. I knew that rubbing alcohol in the ears after class would help them dry out and prevent the problem, but it was my understanding that you couldn't buy rubbing alcohol in Sweden. Someone gifted us with a big thing of vodka, so I'd come home from water aerobics and pour a little vodka in my ears. Life in Sweden was very strange.

I do hope you find a solution to the chlorine problem.

bethany actually said...

I would imagine that the best remedy for the irritated nose/throat would be to make sure you're drinking lots of water (which I know you already do, but maybe an extra 8oz right before/after swimming?). Maybe use a neti pot the days you swim to flush out your sinuses?

Is this an indoor pool? Those are the worst for chlorine.

Mrs. Fordyce said...

Your gingerbread looks delicious! I am mentally preparing myself for making gingerbread with my children next week! I have used a saline rinse in my nose to help after swimming in a chlorinated pool. It really seemed to help.

sarah doow said...

I love clove oranges. I made some a ten plus years ago, 100% covered in cloves and they're still going strong.

*kate said...

Great photos :) I love your funny - my real is a creative leaf pile.

CarlynB said...

My dear Mother had a beautiful pyramid similar to yours that she got in Germany. It was wonderful to see your picture and remember hers, too. Thanks so much for posting it.

Jen said...

I love that star so much it hurts. I must make one.