Monday, November 14, 2011

more pie

I took home two (raw) pie crusts on Saturday, intending to make apple pies. I wasn't feeling great yesterday, so I put the project off until today.
What made the pie-ing more challenging was that my apple pie recipe requires a second crust for a lid, so I needed to make more pie crust.
Next, I made a mistake measuring the shortening and was forced to add almost a whole cup of extra flour, leaving me with enough crust for an additional pie.
ready for the oven
Ironically, I actually ended up using both crusts from Saturday for the same pie, making my whole crust-making extravaganza obsolete (it was fun though, and I do have three pies rather than one, so I don't have terrible regrets here). I made my crust with whole wheat flour (which may have been part of the issue?!), and I decided to go with one-color pies rather than a funky white pie with a brown lid.
One of the best parts of Saturday's pie party was that I came home to a kitchen that didn't look like the above. Sticky dishes, ingredients, apple peels, crumbs stuck to the counter and a sink full of dishes... I was actually surprised that I managed to clean up the whole mess within the first 20 minutes of baking time.
And an hour or so later, the counter looked like that. Win!

2 comments:

sarah doow said...

You need some kind of pie crust crown.

Carrie said...

How do the whole wheat crusts taste?

You are a pie samurai!