Tuesday, June 29, 2010

back by (one) popular demand

Bethany told me to blog more, so here I am. Incidentally, if she told me to jump off a cliff, I don't think I'd do it. Unless it was one of those awesome jumping-off cliffs with delightful tropical waters below, and perhaps a lifeguard or two. Actually, even then I probably wouldn't jump. Scared of heights, I'm afraid.
Bethany didn't tell me to watch Bones, but she did mention she liked it a lot, so I figured - why not?!
Oh, bad move!* See, I'm a scaredy-cat (see exhibit one, scared of heights). I'm sort of afraid of things I see on TV sometimes.
(Like back in the day when I watched Silence of the Lambs (taped to watch during the day, to take away the extra creep-factor of night-timely darkness)(exhibit two, scared of the dark, and I'm not even kidding) and had to sleep in my parents' bed the following night. And then I had nightmares for months. As a matter of fact, I still try not to think of that movie close to bed-time if I can help it.)
(Or when we watched Stigmata** while staying in a huge cabin in the woods and I had to wake up my husband to make him go to the bathroom with me in the middle of the night. Oh, and that was our HONEYMOON. I win at romance!)
(And don't get me started on vampires. CHILDHOOD TRAUMA!!! I've steered clear of any and all Twilight-related things.)

Right. Bones. So I watched the pilot. And it was hilarious! And witty! And the corpse? Not even all that creepy. I felt a little ill-ish when they mentioned the sliced-off fingertips, but hilarious and witty won out and I watched episode #2.
And what do you know?! NOT CREEPY! Sure, there was a shot of a burned-to-a-crisp leg, but that really wasn't all that bad.
You can see where this is going, can't you?! I watched episode #3, and I've been thinking about poor murdered Hector Olivos ever since. And yes, I remember the name of the corpse, but I haven't yet picked up on all of the names of the characters. *sigh*

I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere... but I'm trying not to let the naptime quietness and the memories of Hannibal Lector and Hector Olivos get to me, so... kittens!

*Oh, and Bethany? No hard feelings. Obviously not your fault!

**This really was a dumb move. Someone we now no longer trust to recommend movies recommended that movie to us because he thought it was an interesting perspective on Christianity. Obviously, it was just a bad horror movie... one that I have managed to block from my memory almost entirely.

4 comments:

Madge said...

I might go ahead and give Bones a try, but I'll probably regret it. Do not EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER watch I Survived. That show has kept me up so many nights. I finally stopped watching it and I still have a hard time sleeping if I think about it.

bethany actually said...

I totally understand not wanting to watch Bones because of the ick factor. I am sad for you, because you are missing out on a lot of intelligent and witty stuff to avoid what is really a fairly small portion of each episode, but...I only watched Silence of the Lambs once, out of the corner of my eye while chatting, in broad daylight, at a party with lots of people, and I can still remember vividly several of the grosser scenes and wish I couldn't!

Maybe you could tell me the kinds of fake corpses you think would bother you most, and I can weed out those episodes for you. Because some of them hardly have any grossness at all. There's one where Booth and Brennan go undercover at a circus where the bodies are completely devoid of flesh by the time they're discovered. And it's a pretty funny one.

Courtney said...

well I was wondering where you'd been too, so I'm glad you posted something!

And I don't mind too much the dead body stuff, but do not, DO NOT, get me started on The Sixth Sense *shudder*

Sonja said...

You know, I also forgot to mention that movie Seven - remember that?! Brad Pitt investigating grisly murders according to the seven deadly sins? I didn't ever watch the whole thing, and it still scared the living daylights out of me.
Also, The Sixth Sense? Seconded. We actually saw that at the theater and walked out...
BTW, books also do it to me - I was unable to finish reading The Lovely Bones, and when I read Angels and Demons, I didn't sleep well for weeks. *sigh*