Saturday, November 14, 2009

Buy Nothing Month

We don't have TV at home. I mean... we have a TV, but we have no TV reception. I used to get a fuzzy version of channel 9, but with the digital switch, that's gone too, so I'm down to zero channels. This works really well for our family.
But.
But when I have the chance, I TV-binge (It's one of the reasons why having no TV at home works so well for us - I just don't have it in me to turn the dang thing off once it's on!). While we were in Atlanta, I had the TV on basically whenever we were in our hotel room (which was kind of a lot). I fell hard for HGTV and all their real estate shows. I watched hour after hour of people looking for a house (and wandering through all these great (or admittedly not so great) houses), or fixing up or staging a house to sell, or redecorating homes after buying them.
So guess what happened when I got home?
(Besides major TV withdrawals, of course.)
I was unhappy with my house in a big way.
My house is small. My house has electrical outlets in all the wrong places. My house has no closet space to speak of. My kitchen is minuscule. The only (!!!) bathroom is roughly the size of a postage stamp. The list goes on and on.
The thing is - I love our house. My house is cute. My house has lots of pretty features.
It finally hit me - it's not my house's fault!
I have too much stuff, and all the stuff I have is completely disorganized.
So I came up with a plan. A simple plan: Buy NOTHING until Christmas (except for food, toiletries, and gifts), and get rid of some of the stuff that's accumulated but is no longer being used.
I've blessed some of my friends with clothes that no longer fit anyone in my family, I've made some little advent gifts with fabric I've hoarded for several years, and I've only been to Target once in three weeks.
My birthday is in December, and I'm happy to report that this year will be the first time in probably about a decade when I won't have to shrug and smile awkwardly when people ask me for a wish list, since I've abandoned my amazon "just one more CD and I get free shipping" habit and my Target "I think I deserve a movie" habit.
I haven't been without moments of weakness (like, look at this! And this! And this!), but overall, this has been easier than anticipated. Yay for not buying stuff!

Alright, woman. Enough!

7 comments:

Inka said...

Hey, nicht alle Klamotten weggeben, die dir nimmer passen ... ich komm doch bald und darf 2 Koffer dabei haben!!!!!!

Lauren S. said...

And I was just going to see if you wanted to go with me to Ikea this week! ;)

Good for you, Sonja!

Inka said...

Wir ham grad Ikea-Haben wollen Wochen ... das w├╝rde sich dann wohl nicht mit deinem nix kaufen Monat vertragen, oder?!

N said...

I buy so little that I've probably done this without knowing! (It's quite easier than it seems, it only takes a bit of practice!) :-P

Olive Tree Guitar Ensemble said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

ZDENNY said...

A man named Finite awoke and found himself in a sinkhole full of quick sand. He was sinking very slowly and knew that he would meet certain death.

A man came along who had holes in his hands. The man threw Finite a rope and told him to grab it and he would pull him to safety.

Finite looked at the holes in the man's hands and said, “Your not real.” “It is not scientifically possible for a man to live who has holes in his hands.

The man with the holes in his hands looked at the guy a little puzzled and said, “You are in a sinkhole and about to die. Your response to my help is to say I’m not real?”

Finite said, “Well, I like how warm the sand is and I really don’t want to get out. Second, I know I am having an illusion because it is not possible for a man to have holes in his hands and still help me out.” Therefore, morally I like my plight and scientifically, you don’t exist being a mere projection of my mind.

The man with the holes in his hands said, “Listen, I was sent here by my father to help people out so please let me help you! I will take you to my father’s mansion where you can enjoy life for eternity. Obviously, death was not able to hold me in the grave because the holes in my hands are proof that I overcame death. I now have the power to save you so grab the rope!”

Finite put his fingers in the ears and said, “Now I know I am hearing things because there is no such thing as eternal life…Everyone dies so I am going to take my turn and just enjoy this warm sand until the end.”

The man with the holes in his hand said, “If you won’t grab the rope, then I won’t be able to help you…please, please take the rope and I can pull you out. Have faith my friend.”

A few moments later Finite sunk into the quick sand and out of sight. Finite was surprised that he did not die as expected. He just sat there surrounded by sand, unable to move, unable to breathe, unable to talk with his fingers in his ears. Finite tried to comfort himself by thinking, “I would rather stay here for eternity than believe that the man with the holes in His hand could help me. Faith in that mirage is irrational!!

So Finite sat in the quicksand for eternity. Day in and day out for eternity Finite was always thinking about the man with the holes in his hands. He would comfort himself thinking, “It was better to not have faith than to believe something that didn’t make sense.”

The man with the holes in His hands continued to call him for the rest of eternity; however, Finite could not hear his voice because he had plugged his ears.


The Lesson

If you are not with Christ, you will be thinking about Christ for eternity anyway... so have faith.

Carrie D. said...

Not having a tv in your house can be a good thing, especially for your children! Instead of watching tv, time is spent reading or playing outside. I admire you 'dejunk' strategy! Cute blog!