Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"overdoing it" is putting it mildly

On Sunday, we had Noah's dedication at our church. We had invited a bunch of family for a party after church at my in-law's house. This meant two things: 1. Noah needed an especially cute outfit and 2. I had to bake.
Item #1 was relatively painless, though it did require more than 20 minutes of hemming and hawing at the mall. I give you my wee little college boy:
Hmmmm, Harvard or Yale?
Item #2 gave me the perfect excuse to finally use the most adorable cake pan of all times I had splurged on just after having Noah.
My biggest fear was that the cake would get stuck in all the tiny crevices and look more like a collection of strange blobs than railway carts. I needn't have worried - the cake looked great! The only piece that broke off was the smokestack of the locomotive, which was a bummer, but I could live with it.
Of course, the recipe was unclear on how full to make the pan, so my cake overflowed. This, it turns out, was for the best because we were able to use the extra cake to cut out stars of different sizes and use them for trees. It also wasn't as big a catastrophe as it could have been because I noticed it in time to catch all drips in a baking sheet (as opposed to having them burn to a crisp in my oven).
Of course the cake was a hit with the kids and people were rather impressed.
Here's a picture of the finished product. Clicking it will take you to my flickr set of train cake pictures.
locomotive & trees
Think it would be okay to have train cake for every major holiday and birthday?

4 comments:

Christina LMT said...

That is absolutely amazing and fantastic! Of course you can make the cake for all special occasions, it'll become tradition, nothing wrong with that!

tweetey30 said...

You are amazing with this stuff. And your sewing. Wow. And your little guy is getting so big.

tshsmom said...

GREAT JOB!
Of course you can use the train for all special occasions! You'll get your money's worth that way. ;)

Noelia said...

Yum. I'm hungry.