Friday, August 08, 2008

brain still working

A few years ago, I realized that mainstream magazines geared towards women are an insult to our intellect. Case in point? Glamour ran an article on the dangers of smoking. Great, I thought. Then I turned a few pages and saw... an ad for cigarettes. I was greatly annoyed, which sharpened my BS detection skills. I swore off women's magazines. (Sidebar: I once was stranded at Newark for hours and hours and had nothing to read other than LADIES HOME JOURNAL. To add insult to injury, there was a great big picture of Dr. Phil on the front. I actually folded the cover in half out of embarassment.)
For my babyshower, I got a boppy pillow (very useful). It included a year's free subscription to Parents magazine and I just received my very first copy.
I eagerly read it and came to the sad conclusion that they assume parents to be just as stupid a target audience as women. To wit: They print a note that starts out with the following:
If you're too time-crunched to squeeze in a shampoo, consider it a beauty bonus.
So far, so good. But then there's instructions on how to style the non-shampooed hair, and it's a SEVEN-step process that includes the use of THREE different products. I could probably shampoo twice in that time. And whatever happened to the old standby of wearing a hat?

Other parent mags aren't better, but I've worked up too much frustration to adequately express, so let's just say that I'm taking the whole stack of magazines to the doctor's office when I go for my six-week checkup, to donate to the waiting room. Good riddance!

2 comments:

bethany actually said...

Have you tried Wondertime? I find it's aimed slightly higher than some of the other parenting magazines out there.

ZebraBelly: said...

Yes, but have you read some Men's magazines? I think the majority of magazines assume that PEOPLE are stupid (can't argue there LOL) and then, like Bethany said, there are the more intelligent ones. There's also a crapload of bad info in mainstream parenting magazines. And in mainstream women's magazines and in mainstream men's magazines. *sigh*