Friday, March 28, 2008

pregnancy news flash

item 1: bellybutton pain. How can something that is actually a hole hurt? I DON'T KNOW, but it sure does. It feels a little ridiculous.

item 2: Things That Have Made Me Tear Up Lately:
* the Shamu show at Sea World
* the special salute to the troops before the Shamu show
* listening to the Pledge of Allegiance on the radio (I have to switch the station when it comes on)
* the moment of silence for Randy Simmons before the Ducks game
* news reports on NPR (and not because they were sad... just so touching!)
* a onesie that said "I love Mommie" on it
* typing "I love Mommie"
This might only be funny if you know how unemotional I usually am, especially about the - to my European brain - over-celebratory ways of American patriotism. Things like applauding "our men and women in uniform" would normally ellicit respectful applause (because they do actually deserve to be honored), but also a sarcastic comment about how Sea World is trying to ride the patriotic bandwagon in an attempt to boost its popularity (or something along those lines).
So - baby in, sarcasm out, I guess.
*sigh*

3 comments:

gracie said...

I have unfortunate news for you. Since giving birth every single one of my "holes" has been hurting... most recently my ear is infected. The most obvious hole that would hurt is doing the best at this particular moment. The second runner up for pain is a hole very nearby that one.

I hope your after-birth experience is MUCH better than mine. I don't even want to tell you the nightmare I've had to deal with since giving birth but sufficed to say, Matt and I have decided to adopt next time. Seriously!! Neither one of us want to do this ever again. :(

Having said that, Brendan is SOOOO worth all the pain and suffering. I would do it over again to have him... BUT I just don't think I WILL do it again for another one.

bethany actually said...

I am an American, married to an officer in the U.S. Navy, and even I roll my eyes at some of the overwrought "military appreciation" displays out there. You know what's really kinda cool, though? Being at the airport and seeing military members in uniform coming home from Iraq, and hearing the wave of applause that follows them.

I am sorry about your bellybutton pain. I hope it goes away soon. You are an awfully cute pregnant person, though. :-)

tshsmom said...

At least there's an end in sight to your emotionality. Menopause does the same thing, only you don't know when it will end. :(

Try rubbing Vaseline on your bellybutton. It makes the stretching less painful.