Thursday, January 24, 2008

gathering no moss

Now that I've had my doctor's appointment, things are starting to move quickly. We have the ultrasound (that would be The Ultrasound) today, and I have an actual OB appointment tomorrow. (Apparently, yesterday's appointment was only to "check me into the system" and to take just one more vial of blood. BECAUSE THEY CAN.)
In bullets:
* I declined the AFP screening. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the little Junebug.
* I have a negative Rh. Which means that if the baby's Rh is positive and our blood somehow comes in contact, I'd start building antibodies. Antibodies = not good, so I'll get to have a shot of Rogaine... I mean, Rhogam. And after only one google-search, I'm thinking I might refuse that shot. More on that later.
* The allergy medication my old doctor told me to "go ahead and take" (which felt wrong to me, so I didn't - ha!) turns out to be a class C drug. I'm glad I listened to my gut.
* I had to have more blood taken because the first doctor didn't order a Varicella antibody test. And even though I had the chickenpox, the insistence was to test for antibodies anyways because your immunity can apparently change. At least all I had to do was go downstairs for the blood draw, and not to a separate lab.
* The Ultrasound. Today. 1615 hours. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

bethany actually said...

Ooh, The Ultrasound! How exciting!

Aren't you glad to be a pregnant lady in the era of google? I know I was. Having all that information at my fingertips was quite comforting.

doow said...

I'll give you five dollars to go to the ultrasound with a cushion stuffed up your maternity top.

tweetey30 said...

I loved having the ultra sound. With Kora we got it on video tape and when we had Brianna they stopped doing it. So i have her photos around here somewhere.

Sitting said...

Declining the AFP? Totally reasonable. Tell your doctor your genetic counselor said so. ;)

However, I'm interested to hear more about the Rhogam refusal. Do you know Dean is Rh negative? If so, I can understand. If not? Let's talk.

Can't wait to hear how the ultrasound goes!

tshsmom said...

If you're not willing to abort the baby if the tests are positive, what's the point?

I always thought that you didn't have to worry about rH factor with the first baby. Has this changed too?

Brenda said...

I'm RH- also. I had the shot. I didn't have any side effects. I don't recall...but I think all my kids are +. I actually think I had the shot twice...

Oh, heck. What do I remember.... last baby was almost 22 years ago.

Cute tummy on you!