Saturday, January 05, 2008

bandits, all of them

Yesterday, I went to Destination Maternity. Don't count on me becoming a frequent customer there.
Basically, they look at you and see bags and bags of money.
1. The upselling... I hate it. Seriously, if you are ringing me up and try to sell me something I haven't already selected, in 99% of the cases it will cause me to resent your store for all eternity (haha, I almost wrote maternity there).
2. The return policy... They give absolutely no money back - exchanges and store credit only. Have you ever heard of a little shoppe called Nordstrom? Where you can practically rent shoes? That's my kind of return policy. Satisfaction guaranteed. I know I'm being bratty about this, but I hate store credit with a red, hot passion.
3. The worst part? The pressure at the register to sign up for this, that, and the other thing. And when I politely asked to take information about the college savings plan home to review it before I signed up, the saleslady kept telling me how easy it was - "just four easy questions!"
This morning, I looked over the booklet she gave me. She was about to sign me up for a master card!

Unbelievable.

4 comments:

tshsmom said...

Since we don't wear maternity clothes long enough to wear them out, I always opted for the cheapest possible option.
Nursing bras are another story. Get the best ones you can afford.

bethany actually said...

That is exactly why I got as much maternity stuff as I could at thrift stores when I was pregnant. Also, I bought stretchy yoga pants from Old Navy and wore those pretty much through the pregnancy, and am still wearing them today. :-) I didn't have a job I had to dress all professional-like for, though. Good luck!

Christina LMT said...

I think the bandits here are "Motherhood". They tried to add me to all those weird mailing lists, you know, trying to entice me with free this, and free that, and I had to keep repeating that I was a surrogate mother, so I wouldn't be needing formula, diapers, breast pumps, etc, etc.

Also, I'm a big woman to begin with, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to walk into a store, like Walmart or Target, and only find maternity clothes for someone the size of Heidi Klum!

Look, I really don't want to be showing off my belly, okay?

I want to cover it!

And I need to be able to fit both my legs and my whole ass into the pants, not just one foot and lower leg, thankyouverymuch!

Well, I see I had a little bit of rant saved up.

Sorry, but thanks for letting me vent!

tweetey30 said...

I loved my maternity clothes. I was sad when I had to put them away for good and donate them. But hey you do what you have to do. You will have a good time finding other places to buy from. I usually went to K-mart or Wal Mart for mine. And then I just wore extra big clothes otherwise until the end. but with you teaching I dont think you can do that. Try a Good Will or something???