Friday, July 20, 2007

conundrum

The new Harry Potter book.
I want to read it, but I don't want to have to buy it (because I want to buy a boxed set of all 7 books, so they match *twitch*).
I'm okay with waiting to read it until a copy becomes available at the local library (in approximately 2-4 years, right?!) or somebody I know will take pity on me and let me borrow it. What I'm NOT okay with are all the spoilers out there. And when even the NY Times can't keep their respectable trap shut about content of the book, how will I expect the ENTIRE WORLD to keep quiet about this until I get a chance to read the book? Will I have to preface conversations with an urgent "DO NOT tell me about Harry Potter #7!"? (Maybe I can make up a shirt: "Tell me about book seven and die!" -- wait... too subtle?)

I'm not standing in line at the bookstore tonight. I don't like crowds, esp. excited ones that have to stand in line. How do you think the bookstore crowds will be tomorrow morning? Do you think I'll get a book without pre-ordering it?
And what about my boxed set plans? Amazon won't have the boxed set (pretty, huh?) available until SEPTEMBER 18th! When school will have started and I certainly won't be able to stay up all night and read (which is a virtual certainty. It will happen. Shoot, it happened to me last night, and with a book I'd read before!).
GAH! Help me!

7 comments:

mutti said...

your sister ordered it!

Sonja said...

I would like to read it before I come because I don't want to spend my vacation time reading HP. The Husband would most likely kill me (at least a little) if I did that. *Ahem*

tshsmom said...

Your shirt idea SHOULD work. Just don't read any blogs, listen to the radio, or watch TV. You KNOW they can't wait to spoil the plot!
After the deaths in the last 2 books, I'm almost afraid to read 7. :(

just a girl said...

I have bought each as they came out so have a matching set minus the very cool box.

I will be heading to Costco tomorrow to buy it and will not blog any spoilers- just for you :)

Lady Iphigenia said...

I don't like excited crowds either.

I'm a cheap version of the HP fan: I am not going to buy the book tomorrow because I don't want to spend $45 CAD on it (plus taxes), PLUS I've bought the paperback version of the books, which mean I will need to wait even LONGER THAN YOU to go buy it!!! How crazy is that! How am I gonna survive without hearing any spoilers???

(Ooooh, the box set is beautiful!)

Elaine said...

Contact Lorien (email me if you don't know who I'm talking about) and tell her I sent you. There's a brilliant solution for ya.

Lady Iphigenia said...

What was I saying?

I've just read a spoiler in a blog...