Monday, June 18, 2007

what it's been like lately

This is what my life has been lately, minus the overpriced drink. On Friday, I found myself at Starbucks at 8 am, toting my laptop and a 4-page application to fill out (It took TWO SOLID HOURS to fill it out).
I've interviewed with two schools for jobs next year. One of them didn't call me back, the other one invited me for a second round. I walked out of that interview (with the founder of the school!) knowing that I didn't impress and/or connect with the man. Sad... (I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm not anticipating a job offer. I'm calling them tomorrow.).
I'm now at a point where I'm actually cold-calling schools to find out if they're hiring teachers for next year. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this here before, but I hate HATE making phone calls like that. Hate it.
The response has been mixed. One secretary told me flat-out "Applying here would be a waste of your time." (because they had no openings and already lots of applicants). Jerk! At least I found out ahead of time how things are handled at that school - I really don't want to work with a dragon-lady secretary!
I did, however, also find out that some schools are waiting for enrollment numbers for the fall before they advertise positions.
Most importantly, I found a school that has three open positions. And so the saga continues...

3 comments:

Inka said...

Hey, you're my sister - next interview woult be THE job ;o)

And another reason to be happyyyy:
Me visiting you next Feb. ... isn't that wonderfull :o)

Just a Girl said...

I hate the calling as well. I usually have to pep talk myself into it.

tweetey30 said...

You know when I was a kid I wanted to be a teacher but from readign what you are going through I am glad I didnt bother with it when I grew up. LOL... Happy job hunting.