Monday, April 30, 2007

trippin'

We have, it seems, been bitten by the travel bug. To wit:
1. We decided in about the middle of March that we wanted to go to Yosemite. I didn't want to camp for 4 days* and we didn't want to go during the hottest and most crowded time of the year. We settled on May and I got on the phone. When you call Yosemite in March requesting reservations for May of the same year, you can expect the other person to be choking back laughter while she tells you that the next available date is in OCTOBER. I was a little disappointed, but I booked the October time slot anyways, because a) we wanted to go and b) it's right around our anniversaries (yes, we have two). Last time we went to Yosemite (on our honeymoon), it was October (obviously) and absolutely gorgeous. I'm so excited to go!
*I do like camping, but our tent is teensy, and I refuse to not have running water for four days.

2. We're going to see some dear friends north of Los Angeles this weekend. This is not really a big trip, but they used to live in Northern CA, all the way up in Humboldt, and so it still feels like a road trip when we see them. We're celebrating two birthdays there (I'm bringing a cake, which I love) AND they just had a baby a few months ago. Perfect.

3. The postponed Yosemite trip left us with two approved vacation days for May/June that we needed to use for something, so we decided to take a trip over Memorial Day weekend. We're driving to COLORADO to visit these friends. We haven't taken a bona fide road trip since The Great Minnesota Adventure of 2003, so I'm really, really looking forward to this one.

4. As if this wasn't enough, we're also taking a trip with a church to New Orleans, to help rebuild what Katrina destroyed. Wanna sponsor me? ;)

Has anybody tried out the new "My Maps" google maps feature? I've made a map of our trip, but I don't know how to link to it here. Halp!

1 comment:

tweetey29 said...

Sonja would love to sponser you but money is tight here. I have a big heart for those that have lost so much. We take for granted that that wont happen here in WI but tornados hit every year and you just dont know when its going to hit your house. Have fun on those trips you are taking. Lots of pix taken please. If you ever get where you want to get adventerous you are welcome here in our home.