Monday, March 26, 2007

If you give a mouse a cookie... blog edition

I had just resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't work today (again), when my phone rang and The Good District (i.e. not the one where I had The Job I Hated) called to see if I could come in for a fifth grade teacher who was sick and wanted to leave. I told them I could be there by 9am and rushed around the house getting ready.
Then...
My car didn't start.
So...
I called my Father-in-law and he agreed to drive me.
So...
I had to make a lunch (since I couldn't very well drive off campus to buy some) using the weird left-overs (think: bachelor fridge stereotype) since today was going to be my Major Grocery Shopping Day. I also had to call the school to let them know I'd be late.
Then...
I was looking forward to a lunch of avocado, string cheese, and Triscuit, when I found out it was one of the students' birthday and he was bringing pizza for the whole class.
So...
I had two slices of pizza for lunch.
So...
I was pretty happy for the rest of the day.
Then...
The kids had an art teacher come in and the school had PE coaches, which gave me a nice long break in the middle of the day.
So...
I was able to help the absent teacher out with some of her student council fundraiser stuff, which equals a very good impression.
Then...
I realized I had to teach chemistry. Chemistry was the one and only subject in school I did not get, not even with tutoring. My C in chemistry was cause for great rejoicing in all the land.
Then...
I saw that the teacher had left a group game for the class for chemistry, which meant that I didn't have to worry about the content.
So...
I was happy and relieved.
Then...
The kids had a hard time transitioning from the game to writing in their agendas and packin gup to go home and I was getting a little upset and also I was losing my voice.
Then...
Birthday Boy asked if I was from a different country and I said "Yes, and if you guys can sit quietly and listen politely, I will even tell you which country it is!"
So...
The kids magically began staying in their seats and guessing random countries (like Mexico and China... pfffft) and not so random countries (Sweden, Austria, Canada).
Then...
Birthday Boy guessed Germany and there was great rejoicing, so I bribed them with "I will answer your questions as soon as all the backpacks are packed and zipped and you are sitting quietly and ready to listen."
So...
They totally shut up and asked me questions.
Then...
The bell rang and everyone went home.
Then...
I was outside in the parking lot, waiting for my father-in-law to show up, when the principal came back to the school from a meeting.
So...
I greeted him and he said I looked familiar (which must have been that pink thing I wore today and also at the job fair last year and perhaps my very similarly overgrown hair) and we started talking and he told me that The Good District was holding its job fair this Wednesday and that he personally only hired people he met there because he didn't like looking only at paper applications.
So...
I decided to go to the job fair on Wednesday, even though it was a total drag last year and I'd been kind of leaning towards not going.
Then...
I called AAA and when the tow truck driver showed up at my house, my car started without any problems.
So...
I felt like an idiot.
But...
The driver heard the noise I'd been hearing and he diagnosed it (alternator) and recommended a mechanic for it.
So...
I called the mechanic, who is now expecting my car.
Then...
I blogged all about it in a somewhat FUNFUNFUN but also kind of annoying fashion.
So...
I probably won't do that again.

4 comments:

Just a Girl said...

Way to go on chatting up the principal :)

Christina said...

See, everything worked out in the end!
And you weren't THAT annoying! ;)

tweetey29 said...

Sounds like the kids had a great time getting to know you. That helps when you have to sub again for them or the school district in particular. Hope you had fun sharing yourself with them as much as it sounded they had asking the questions.

Elaine said...

Personally, I enjoyed the FUNFUNFUN but also kind of annoying bloggity fashion. It was kinda magical how yu got them all to listen to you about your foreign self. And I can't wait for the follow up, where you tell us all how you got the job by loudly and repeatedly singing German pop songs whilst dancing around in lederhosen. You know, to show your cultural diversity.

Rock on, Sista!