Thursday, March 01, 2007

attention sewers (with needle and thread, not with dirty water)

I'm stuck on a sewing pattern I'm translating and I need your help. The pattern has few words and a good amount of diagrams, and I usually like that. If I was sewing this myself, I'd just fuss with it and figure it out, but since I'm translating this for a person I don't even know myself, I want to stay as close to the instructions as possible.
I've gotten as far as the second picture, but the instructions below it have me stumped. "Stitch side seams." Does this mean to hem them, or are we actually sewing the lining and the bag together? And what about the next paragraph (underneath the following picture)? How is the tunnel the straps go through actually made?
So confused. Head starting to hurt. Help me!

5 comments:

tweetey29 said...

I dont sew. I am sorry. I crochet but no sewing. My godmother does all my sewing. I mean I can take a needle and thread and do basic things like sew a hole in my girls pants or something but nothing big projects. I hope this works for you. Tweets.

Melissa said...

Hi Sonja, I am actually going to try to make one over the weekend but no time tonight. From what I can tell....After the second diagram, "stitch side seams" means to stitch, with right sides together, the sides of the exterior of the bag. Basically, from that image, you would fold the bag completely in half including the lining pieces at the top and stitch from the fold along the edge of the outer fabric until you are 1.5 inches before you the strap that you basted in place. Then stop sewing, leave a 1.5 inch gap, and start sewing again at the strap and continue to the end of the lining (I would continue around the corner of the lining and just leave a small opening in the center bottom of the lining. Then turn right side out, fold the lining in. The outer fabric is longer so it will fold into the bag partially and then you sew along that edge to make a casing. I'm only about 80% sure on this so if you aren't in a big rush, I'll mess with it later because now I"m curiuos!

European said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm actually intrigued by this pattern, so I might sew one of those bags over the weekend. Wish me luck!

European said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm actually intrigued by this pattern, so I might sew one of those bags over the weekend. Wish me luck!

tshsmom said...

I agree with Melissa. However, if heavy material is used, I would leave a bigger opening than 1.5 inches, as you will have to pull ALL the material through this opening.
Is there another page to the instructions? I don't see info on making this a drawstring tote.