Saturday, December 23, 2006

Photo Advent Calendar, Day 23: Weihnachtsmarkt

Every year before Christmas, Christmas markets pop up in most cities in Germany (and apparently Austria, and recently France)*. It's basically a farmer's market type operation, with all things Christmasy instead of veggies and fruits and chickenpoop-encrusted fresh eggs. One of the highlights for me each year is this:
Chestnuts (most often roasting on a not-so-open fire)! They are good for warming up your hands and are delicious.
This year, I was going to miss the fun since the markets traditionally close on either the 23rd or 24th and I don't get there until the 27th but HA! The good people in Strasburg are keeping their market open until the 30th, so I can have a chance to enjoy the roasted chestnuts, mulled wine, and mild temperatures.

*The picture is of the Weihnachtsmarkt in my home town.

4 comments:

Adrian said...

DEUTSCHLAND!!

What an amazing place- the proof is right HERE.

Edinburgh has a German Market too- but its basically just a bunch of gypsies operating carnival rides.

Oh, and then there are the old people selling not-so-German stuff. : (

tshsmom said...

I'm wishing you a SAFE trip with uneventful connections, AND warm hands!
MERRY CHRISTMAS! Have fun with your family!

gracie said...

One of these days I'm going to see Sonja's hometown... yay!

European said...

Adrian - there are many imitations... Denver actually has a somewhat German-esque Christmas market. But who can afford to go there just for that? Esp. with the airport thing...
Tshsmom - thanks! I'm sure you'll hear from me...
Gracie - that would be awesome.