Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Photo Advent Calendar, Day 12: winter sports

Sorry about the crappilicious quality of this picture. I took it off the TV on Sunday, when I was watching the men's downhill competition in Colorado. The skier you see is Hermann "Herminator" Maier from Austria, who is a crazy, interesting, lucky, legendary athlete.
Sitting there, watching these guys zip down the mountain with visibility that was described as "so poor the skiers can't even see their own skis," listening to spectators cheer and dinging their cowbells, I was reminded of my grandpa. Part of Christmas and Advent when I was little was to sit with him in the reclining grandpa chair watching winter sports. And though I can't say that I was ever really interested in what was going on (except for figure skating - I was a little girl, after all), now I am reminded of being close to my grandpa every time I watch winter sports on TV.

4 comments:

Just a Girl said...

That's very sweet.

tweetey29 said...

Euro what is advent? Just another part of Christmas or what? I have never heard of it and I am not really religious so if this goes with that no wonder I have never heard of it. I hope it doesnt affend anyone I asked. You can drop your answer off at my blog if you would like. tweets.

European said...

Girl - thanks!
Tweety - Ask questions any time, okay?! Advent is the four-week (or so) period before Christmas Eve in the Christian Church Year. The word advent means 'coming' or 'arrival,' and during this time, the focus is meant to be on Jesus' imminent arrival (or coming).

tweetey29 said...

Oh ok. Like I said I am not religious. We do bible study with our Pastor once a week in our home and then we gave up on church because the women there were judging us. There were no men in the church so we quit going but still doing our bible studies. Thank you again for answering the question. My mom wasnt religious either when I was child. The only time I remember her going to church is on Easter. I hope you are well and have a Merry X-mas. WE are going to my dads house next Saturday to visit in Rice Lake WI. I have no idea what he has in store for my girls but more than likely something small. He loves to spoil them everytime we go.