Monday, September 11, 2006

obligatory rememberance post

Five years ago today, D. and woke up and got ready for work and school. Our routine was interrupted by a phone call from Matt. The good man remembered that we had no TV (shocking, I know) and told us that the US was under attack. We thought that it was kinda early for a prank...
...and then the world just sort of folded in on itself. We listened on NPR, D. eventually left for work (Thank God he wasn't on a project far away that would have required him to fly). I eventually wandered downstairs and knocked on our neighbors' door and watched the whole thing unfold on TV. This is when reality just rushed in on me. You see, listening on the radio, the whole situation had remained neatly abstract. Seeing the smoke, the endless replay of the planes hitting, and - worst of all - people jumping out of the windows made everything real and messy.
It was the first day that my heart ached for America as if this were "my" country.

3 comments:

Little Sister said...

I remember, you called very early - I think it was 5 pm wich makes 8 am for you - and told us you were all right ... that was the moment we switched on the TV.
Than I had to go to trombone lessons to see the pictures running over the planet not untill later evening.

Nicole said...

the jumping was horrific. part of what I will never forget.

that pilot light of patriotism is an interesting thing, isn't it?

gracie said...

with all the sentimental thinking and writing I do I still cannot write about these things...

It's too much. The world can't be that bad. Can it?