Thursday, August 24, 2006

upward swing

In my recent pattern of high hopes and the subsequent shattering of hope, I have now officially recovered from Monday's low (when I found out that SD#2 wasn't interested in me either), through the hiccup of receiving an email yesterday - yet another district rejecting me. Of course, it helped to do fun stuff yesterday...
Anyhoo.
I just got off the phone with a principal of a Lutheran school who will interview me tomorrow morning. I'm really excited about this opportunity, as my view of private schools has quite changed in the last few weeks.
Before I could even really process this information, the phone rang again. And what can I say, it appears that I am now going to see Dave Matthews in concert tomorrow night. Hahaha. HAHAHA. I'm at a loss for words (and yes, that does happen, though not often).
Somebody please tell me that this high flying soar won't end too soon and/or too painfully.

AND NOW HERE IS MY PROBLEM:
I have a stye (though perhaps it might be an internal hordeolum). This is not normally that big of a deal, just irritating and a bit uncomfortable. This time, however, my eye is swollen like there's no tomorrow (and quite literally so). See:
(yes, I know that my nose looks shockingly large in this picture. FOCUS ON THE EYE, DAGNABBIT!)
I've been applying a washcloth soaked in hot water, which is beginning to irritate the skin around my eye quite a bit. If you had a swollen, itchy eye like that, and you had an interview (a VERY IMPORTANT sort of interview that could be LIFECHANGING, not that I'm freaking out over here) *breathing into a bag*... So. What would you do? Would you somehow mention that you didn't get into a fight, you didn't have a facelift-gone-bad? Would you casually say "I just have a clogged oil gland duct in my eye, nothing to worry about."?

7 comments:

tshsmom said...

Yup, that's what I'd do.
That picture makes MY eye water.

Elaine said...

Just say, "Forgive the eye, I got it in service to the Lord." Maybe then they'll think you holy and hire you on the spot.

;)

Elaine said...

PS as someone who has seen the eye and the nose in person (yesterday, no less), I can assure you all that neither are as scary as that photo suggests. SERIOUSLY.

European said...

Elaine is right, HOWEVER, since yesterday, the eye has taken a turn for the worse, swelling-wise. My nose is excellent though, as always.

Nicole said...

I'm leaving your site up for my husband to see tomorrow early am. It's sometimes convenient to be sleeping with an ophthalmologist.

If he has anything to offer, I'll let you know ASAP.

Nicole's husband said...

Unfortunately, the stye (chalazion) really won't resolve very quickly. The standard care is frequent warm compresses and topical antibiotic ointment (or an antibiotic/steroid combination, like tobradex). When this conservative management fails, then we usually go to surgical excision. I would just approach the interview with the attitude that everyone gets a chalazion sometime, the interviewer included.
Good luck,
Nicole's husband (and first-time blog commenter)

Elaine said...

Wow. Nicole's husband? Talking like that? Yeah, totally made me hot.

I guess I dig guys who know big words.

Come on baby, speak in polysyllabic words for me.