Thursday, August 31, 2006

I feel like my life is unraveling. Something is amiss, and I can't figure out what it is. My heart is filled with unrest, like there's something it needs from me, something I need to do but something that I am stubbornly not doing. The thing is, I want to make a difference, and no matter how hokey and cheesy and teenaged that sounds, it's exactly what I want.
That need I have, the need to put others first, to ease pain, to give hope is what makes it hard to read things like the following. Because The Need has to yield to geographic issues, scheduling difficulties, and Life in general, and so I donate money to shut up the yearning in my heart and the twitching in my hands to do something more, something better, something more practical.
It's been a year, and while people have joined hands and helped out, society as a whole seems to have failed.
Read this. And then, read the archives. And then, very possibly, weep.
Has the world always been this dark, or is it just that I'm old enough to be informed enough to be sad and jaded?

4 comments:

Adrian said...

A very tricky situation to resolve and one that I think can only be resolved when EVERYBODY affected (no matter how direct or indirectly, big or small) pull together in the same direction.

First thing to do is stop pointing fingers and playing the blame game. Play politics when people have homes again.

Speaking of which, I think the politicians have made people jaded and made them less likely to lend a helping hand. Mostly because these opportunists' interest fades as soon as their headlines do.

I also think that the media are to blame in some twisted kind of way. Over-exposure to these types of incidents have de-sensitised people to the plight and suffering of the victims.

But we all have an inkling of an idea of what needs to be done: build solid, stable and reliable structures that OVER-compensate for any eventuality (like the Dome Stadium)and natural disaster.

Otherwise, Im stumped.

SORRY!! : )

tshsmom said...

Thanks for the link. It's heartening, seeing that some progress is being made.

gracie said...

I know what you mean Euro. I feel so deeply sad that I lack words to even talk about it. I send off a meager check (money I literally don't have) and I wonder why it's taking so long for these devastated American's to gain help from what some people call the most powerful nation in the world - their own.

Curses.

katze said...

::hug::